CIVITAS DESTINATIONS is a project submitted and approved for the call "MOBILITY for GROWTH 2014-2015 - MG-5.5a-2015 - Demonstrating and testing innovative solutions for cleaner and better urban transport and mobility". It is funded by the European Commission under H2020-EU.3.4. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Smart, Green And Integrated Transport.
Within the EU, and particularly following the economic crisis; tourism will be, the ‘engine for economic growth’, particularly in the underperforming Mediterranean economies; where tourism has traditionally been a dominant economic sector. The world market of tourists continues to grow and Europe has unique selling points for further tourist growth from within and outside the EU (including China). The competitive market for tourism means that cities have to provide the high quality, sustainable environments desired by tourists, while providing local sustainable employment opportunities that overcome the seasonal and sometimes informal nature of tourist economies. Achieving sustainable mobility is a vital part of the growth equation for Europe’s tourist cities.DESTINATIONS will develop an innovative holistic approach to building sustainable urban mobility systems for both residents and tourists. The project impacts will make a positive contribution to demonstrating how this can achieve growth and therefore provide a benchmark for other EU tourist cities.
DESTINATIONS will demonstrate and evaluate the effectiveness of innovative sustainable mobility solutions in 6 tourist cities with different characteristics but sharing common challenges. The solutions will address:
• Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning for residents and visitors
• Safe, attractive and accessible public spaces for all generations
• Shared mobility and e-infrastructures towards zero emissions transport
• Smart & clean urban freight logistics at tourist destinations
• Mobility management & awareness for sustainable mobility
• Attractive, clean, accessible and efficient public transport
CIVITAS DESTINATIONS will implement a set of mutually reinforcing innovative mobility solutions in six urban laboratory areas, including in Funchal and Madeira region in general. Innovative transport solutions implemented in these pilot areas - which represent the variety of tourist destination typologies - will target the resident, tourist and freight mobility demand with a holistic and integrated planning approach, delivering sustainable mobility strategies and solutions at the destinations and in the countries of origin.
Achieving the objectives will increase the attractiveness of the city, both for tourists and for businesses in the sector and multiplier impacts in the economy for goods and services. All of these will contribute to better social cohesion (which attracts further investment).
The selected researcher will join an interdisciplinary team, including project technicians and staff and researchers from Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) and ARDITI (Regional Agency for Research, Technological Development and Innovation) working in the fields of Energy, Mobility, Social Networking and HCI in general.
Candidates are required to have an academic degree in Computer Science and Engineering (Master’s). Research related experience is desirable. Proficient user fluency in English is mandatory (CEFRL C2 level).
The work to be carried consists in the contribution/participation of ARDITI for the project, in particular under Work Package 2 under Design and Implementation planned for measure MAD 2.2 (Smart sensing / metering and user generated content to improve planning and mobility services), namely tasks (Tasks 2.2.X, Tasks 2.6.X, etc), described as follows:The main objective of WP2 is to develop Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning (SUMP) taking into account the needs of both tourists and residents, factoring in the seasonality of mobility demand, and economic growth, job creation and environmental sustainability at its core.
- Efficient monitoring and evaluation procedures will be defined and established in order to dynamically adapt the measures included in the SUMP on the basis of current and future mobility trends.
- The potential of new technologies such as smart metering, data capture and user generated contents will be exploited in this dynamic process. The SUMPs will also integrate a specific plan focused on freight distribution processes (Sustainable Urban Logistics Plan).
- Smart metering/sensing and user generated content will be applied / used in order to improve planning and services for mobility in cities (Funchal, in this case), considering both residents and tourists.
- The measure will address innovative passengers counting schemes and mobility sensors for planning, monitoring and control. It will make use of smart, low cost solutions, based on wireless networks and crowd-source data will be central resources to test and implement.
- The design, prototyping and implementation of such sensor network data requires the development or the adaptation of specific software (either in smartphones and/or micro controller based boards), both in collecting raw data (e.g. a system for counting passengers in Public Transport OR when detecting air pollution in the city centre) and in processing such data afterwards in the lab (in order to obtain valuable information/models).
- Main outputs for this measure, for which the candidate will work for, will be a network of smart sensors located in tourist areas in Funchal; One mobile application for collecting user generated content via crowd sourcing; One online/mobile tool app to collect real time data on perceived satisfaction of public areas and services by customers (citizens and tourists) and A database of collected information.
Scientific guidance and workplace
The work will be coordinated by Prof. Dr. Nuno Nunes (Scientific coordination).
Workplace will be at M-ITI (Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute), Madeira Island.
1 year, with a perspective of being renewable up to 3 years.
Monthly maintenance stipend for a research fellowship with a Master's degree. (ARDITI stipends and regulations are determined by ‘FCT-Fundação para a Ciência Tecnologia’, as indicated at the URL: http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores.phtml.en).
The jury will select the candidates based on a curricular evaluation and, if necessary, using job professional interviews. The selection criteria is the following:
• Education Background and graduation (40%)
• Technology related skills relevant for the project execution (30%)
• Experience in related tasks (30%)
Members of the Jury: Dr. Nuno Jardim Nunes; Clemente Aguiar and Lúcio Quintal.
The application must include:
• Letter of introduction, explaining how the candidate covers the requirements;
• CV (Europass) with a photo;
• Copy of all certificates that prove the habilitations mentioned in the CV.
Anouncement of the results
By email to be sent to the candidates.
Application submission and deadline