A call is open for 1 (one) researcher at the NeuroRehabLab - ARDITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the Project MACbioIDi2 - Contribuyendo a la cohesión e internacionalización de la Macaronesia para impulsarlos Objetivos del Desarrollo Sostenible con las TICs y la I+D+i biomédica (MAC2/1.1b/352), under the following conditions:
Applications closing date: 30-06-2022
Expected start date: 01-10-2023
Duration: 3 months
Monthly stipend: 930,98 Euros
Job country: Portugal
Job city: Funchal
Job company/institute: ARDITI
Workplace: NeuroRehabLab at ARDITI
Main research field: Informatics, Interactive Media Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or related fields.
(a) General requirements:
- The candidate must be enrolled in a Master's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Interactive Media Design, Human-Computer Interaction or related areas;
- Previous experience in Unity 3D Programming.
(b) preferential requirements:
- Experience with Head Mounted Displays;
- Experience with Human-Computer Interaction studies;
- Openness to adapt to new challenges and methodologies;
- Mastery of oral and written communication in English, ability to work independently and also as a member of the NeuroRehabLab (http://neurorehabilitation.m-iti.org/lab/) team, and be proactive;
- Availability to start immediately.
Gestational loss is a tragic event that occurs in about 20% of pregnancies. The experience of an involuntary gestational loss is linked to persistent symptoms of post-traumatic stress, anxiety, and depression, all of which can seriously hinder the normal execution of activities of daily living. Despite this impact, many women do not have access to psychological support to mitigate these effects. The new Information and Communication Technologies are valid alternatives to overcome this lack of support. This is the case of Virtual Reality (VR), a technology that has been widely used in mental health applications with very good results in terms of acceptance and effectiveness.
Methods of providing support as a technological basis are valid alternatives to overcome this lack of support. This is the case of Virtual Reality (VR), a technology that has been widely used in mental health applications for different disorders, with very good results in terms of acceptance and effectiveness. In the context of the MACBIOIDI2 project, the fellow will participate in the development of a multi-scenario VR prototype that utilizes the adaptability of VR and traditional psychological support protocols to provide a personalized intervention specifically targeted at perinatal grief. We will use procedural generation, non-conversational empathic avatars and interactive storytelling to provide a personalized experience for each user. The virtual scenarios will be implemented on a VR (Head-Mounted Display) display to increase the level of immersion and allow the patient to be in a safe space where their emotions can be expressed freely.
The work will be conducted in the NeuroRehabLab, ARDITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Prof. Mónica da Silva Cameirão.
The scholarship will have a length of 3 months (non-renewable), with an expected start date of October 1st, 2023.
The student will receive a stipend of 930,98 €/month free of taxes.
ARDITI stipends and regulations are determined by ARDITI (https://cloud.arditi.pt/index.php/s/PQPMGEM6pjJ5R4i).
How to apply:
Candidates must send their application by email to
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Motivation letter, explaining how the candidature fulfils the application requirements.
- Proof of enrolment in a bachelor's degree, including the list of completed courses names and grades; or in a or in a university non-degree awarding programme
- Certificate of completion of previous degree, including the course names and grades.
- Optional list of projects (or previous experience) in the area will be a plus.
The selection process will be based on:
- Motivation letter (10%)
- Curriculum Vitae (20%)
- Previous experience (30%)
- In case of multiple candidates - Interview (40%)
Recommendation letters are facultative but can contribute positively to the evaluation. Speaking and understanding Portuguese is strictly necessary as the candidate will collaborate with the local clinical partners and patients.
Selection Panel: Prof. Dr. Ana Lúcia Faria, Prof. Dr. Mónica Cameirão, Prof. Dr. Sergi Bermúdez i Badia (President).
Notification of results:
All candidates will be notified by email.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- ARDITI is a recognized "refugee welcoming organisation" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.