A call is open for 1 (one) researcher at the NeuroRehabLab - ARDITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the Project MACbioIDi2 - Contribuyendo a la cohesión e internacionalización de la Macaronesia para impulsarlos Objetivos del Desarrollo Sostenible con las TICs y la I+D+i biomédica (MAC2/1.1b/352), under the following conditions:
Applications closing date: 30-06-2022
Expected start date: 01-08-2023
Duration: 5 months
Monthly stipend: 930,98 Euros
Job country: Portugal
Job city: Funchal
Job company/institute: ARDITI
Workplace: NeuroRehabLab at ARDITI
Main research field: Clinical Psychology, Health Psychology, or related fields.
- Be enrolled in a Master's Degree in Clinical Psychology, Health Psychology, or related fields;
- Being in the second year of the Master's Degree (or transitioning to the second year);
- Previous experience relevant to the project objectives.
- Experience with psychological intervention in grief;
- Experience with multidisciplinary teams;
- Openness to adapt to new challenges and methodologies;
- Oral and written communication in English, ability to work independently and also as a member of the NeuroRehabLab (http://neurorehabilitation.m-iti.org/lab/) team, and be proactive;
- Availability to start immediately.
Gestational loss is a tragic event that occurs in about 20% of pregnancies. The experience of an involuntary gestational loss is linked to persistent symptoms of post-traumatic stress, anxiety, and depression, all of which can seriously hinder the normal execution of activities of daily living. Despite this impact, many women do not have access to psychological support to mitigate these effects. The new Information and Communication Technologies are valid alternatives to overcome this lack of support. This is the case of Virtual Reality (VR), a technology that has been widely used in mental health applications with very good results in terms of acceptance and effectiveness.
In the context of the MACBIOIDI2 project, a multi-scenario VR prototype is being developed that utilizes the adaptability of VR and traditional psychological support protocols to provide a personalized intervention specifically targeted for grief after an involuntary early gestational loss. The virtual scenarios will be implemented in a VR display (Head-Mounted Display) to increase the level of immersion and allow the woman to be in a safe space where her emotions can be expressed freely. The feasibility of the proposed approach will be evaluated in a controlled study of 20 women who experienced a pregnancy loss in the first 20 weeks of gestation.
The main tasks of the scholarship holder will be as follows:
- Participate in the definition of the contents of psychological intervention;
- Participate in conducting pilot studies, focal studies, among others, in the prototype development phase;
- Conduct a controlled feasibility study with the target population;
- Apply pre- and post-intervention evaluation instruments.
The work will be conducted in the NeuroRehabLab, ARDITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Prof. Mónica da Silva Cameirão.
The scholarship will have a length of 5 months (non-renewable), with an expected start date of August 1st, 2023.
The student will receive a stipend of 930,98 €/month free of taxes.
ARDITI stipends and regulations are determined by ARDITI (https://cloud.arditi.pt/index.php/s/PQPMGEM6pjJ5R4i).
How to apply:
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Motivation letter, explaining how the candidature fulfils the application requirements.
- Proof of enrolment in a bachelor's degree, including the list of completed courses names and grades; or in a or in a university non-degree awarding programme
- Certificate of completion of previous degree, including the course names and grades.
- Optional list of projects (or previous experience) in the area will be a plus.
The selection process will be based on:
- Motivation letter (10%)
- Curriculum Vitae (20%)
- Previous experience (30%)
- In case of multiple candidates - Interview (40%)
Recommendation letters are facultative but can contribute positively to the evaluation. Speaking and understanding Portuguese is strictly necessary as the candidate will collaborate with the local clinical partners and patients.
Selection Panel: Prof. Dr. Ana Lúcia Faria, Prof. Dr. Mónica Cameirão, Prof. Dr. Sergi Bermúdez i Badia (President).
Notification of results:
All candidates will be notified by email.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- ARDITI is a recognized "refugee welcoming organisation" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.