A call is open for 1 (one) videography intern to work closely with the MARE-Madeira team of ARDITI (Funchal, Portugal), with unrestricted funding from the company Baillie Gifford & Co, under the following conditions:
Applications closing date: 29-09-2023
Expected start date: 01-11-2023
Duration: 6 months, with possible renewal
Monthly stipend: 930,98 Euros
Job country: Portugal
Job city: Funchal
Job company/institute: ARDITI
Workplace: MARE-Madeira, at ARDITI
Main research field: Science Communications
The communications team at MARE-Madeira aims to increase ocean literacy, raise awareness about key ocean-related sustainability topics, share MARE-Madeira’s ocean research and low-cost technology development in an accessible way and inspire communities with the ocean in Portugal and beyond. This fellowship is part of MARE-Madeira’s ongoing effort to find new ways to engage the community.
The successful applicant will create short films about areas of MARE-Madeira’s research that most interest the applicant, ‘how-to' videos for how to build and deploy MARE-Madeira’s low-cost innovations and other media content that can be shared across social media channels (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube) to attract and engage a wide range of audiences. The role will involve participation in fieldwork, interviewing MARE-Madeira researchers and engineers, creating engaging storylines, filming, editing footage and posting finished media on social media.
This work will take place over 6 months at ARDITI’s offices in Funchal, Madeira Island. Applicants should be comfortable with marine research fieldwork and have a good grasp of marine biology subjects. Portuguese and English language skills are essential to create content that can be used locally and internationally. In addition to experience in videography and social media campaigns, the intern should be able to demonstrate proficiency in self-led work, as this role requires a lot of self-motivation, creativity and time management to be able to come up with and deliver finished work without constant oversight.
This fellowship does not include funding for videography hardware or software: candidates are expected to have their own camera, laptop and editing software.
Candidates must meet the following requirements, skills, and competencies:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biology or similar area
- Enrolled in a master’s degree in Marine Biology or a similar area
- Experience in videography (filming and editing)
- Experience in social media campaigns
- Experience in marine biology fieldwork
- Portuguese language skills (C1 or higher)
- English language skills (B2 or higher)
- Demonstrated proficiency at independent work
The work will be conducted in the MARE-Madeira, ARDITI (Funchal, Portugal), under the supervision of Dr. Diane Esson.
The scholarship will have a length of 6 months, with possible renewal.
The student will receive a stipend of 930,98 €/month free of taxes.
ARDITI stipends and regulations are determined by ARDITI (https://cloud.arditi.pt/index.php/s/fbiJF5XMST4Pf2P)
How to apply:
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Motivation letter, explaining how the candidature fulfils the application requirements.
- Proof of enrolment in a master’s degree in Marine Biology or a master’s degree in a similar area, including the list of completed course names, ECTS, and grades.
- Certificate of completion of the previous degree, including the course names and grades.
- A list of completed videography and social media projects
The following evaluation criteria will be applied: F = Q + E + I
F — Final Score
Sum of qualifications, experience and interview scores (if applicable) to a maximum of 40 points
Q — Qualifications
Maximum score of 10 points as follows:
- 5 points: Bachelor’s degree in Biology or similar
- 5 points: Enrollment in a Master’s of Marine Biology or similar degree program
E — Experience
Maximum score of 20 points as follows:
- 8 points: Videography portfolio
- 2 points: Social media campaigns
- 1 points: Marine biology fieldwork
- 1 points: Diving experience
- 3 points: Proficiency in Portuguese (C1+)
- 3 points: Proficiency in English (B2+)
- 2 points: Demonstrated ability to work independently
I — Interview
The top three candidates may be invited for an interview (in person or remotely) if Q + E scoring has a difference of 2 points or lower. Maximum interview score of 10 points.
- President: Dr. Diane Esson, MARE-Madeira, ARDITI
- Member of the Jury: Ms. Annalisa Sambolino, MARE-Madeira, ARDITI
- Member of the Jury: Dr. Sonia Costa, MARE-Madeira, ARDITI
Notification of results:
The final results will be published through an ordered list by the final grade that will be advertised in a visible and public place at the ARDITI, being all candidates notified by email.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination regarding gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- ARDITI, a recognised “refugee welcoming organisation" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice, considering the requirements for the positions under this call.