“MISTIC SEAS III – Developing a coordinated approach for assessing Descriptor 4 via its linkage with D1 and other relevant descriptors in the Macaronesian subregion”, is a project financed by the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF), through DG Environment (MFSD 2018 call) (MISTICSEAS3_GA.110661/2018/794676/SUB/ENV.C2). The project aims to address the assessment of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) Descriptor 4 (Ecosystems, including food webs) at the Macaronesian sub-regional level following the criteria set up under the new Commission GES Decision 2017/848/EC.
This fellowship is to contract a researcher to assist in the collection and taxonomic analysis of zooplankton organisms that allow the identification of trophic guilds (i.e. groups of species that are representative of the relevant trophic level), compile an up-to-date review on taxonomic information and summarize relevant knowledge and data available on zooplankton species, especially in Madeira.
In the context of Project MISTIC SEAS III, ARDITI is looking for one researcher with knowledge and experience in zooplankton analysis (taxonomy, biomass, energy transfer in the marine food web, etc.). The successful candidate will be contributing to an integrated analysis of trophic and energy flow related studies spanning from basic trophic levels to top predators. Knowledge of MSFD related methodologies is desired.
The selected applicant will temporarily integrate the MPhytoLab research group, Faculty of Life Science, University of Madeira (partner of OOM - Madeira Oceanic Observatory), with experience in zooplankton taxonomy as well as their trophic relations within the marine environment.
For the applicant to be considered a candidate for this scholarship it is required to have at least a PhD and experience in:
- good working knowledge of zooplankton taxonomy
- MSFD indicators assessment, especially related with basic trophic levels (plankton), preferably in the Macaronesia sub-region;
- trophic and energy flow related studies including zooplankton;
The responsibilities of the researchers include, among others:
- Assist in the definition and testing of methodologies that allow the identification of trophic guilds (i.e. groups of species that are representative of the basic trophic level) and improvement of monitoring programs of Descriptors 1,3 and 4;
- Do literature reviews (e.g. diversity, abundance, size distribution, productivity), data compilation, organization, processing and analysis related with aims of the project;
- Participate in fieldwork to collect zooplankton samples and other samples to fill gaps relevant for the purpose of the project and perform in the lab work to process and analyze those samples, as well as existing samples;
- Collaborate in the ecosystem modelling exercises focus on trophic linkages;
- Collaborate in writing-up the project’s follow-up reports and technical reports related with tasks in which the researcher is involved;
- Participate in the relevant project meetings to discuss methodologies, protocols, data analysis, management, risk assessment and other related issues;
- Collaborate with other tasks of Project MISTIC SEAS III related with area of the researchers’ expertise and knowledge;
Scientific guidance and workplace
The work will be carried out at MPhytoLab, FCV, UMa, located at the Marine Biology Station of Funchal, Madeira Island, under the coordination of Manfred Kaufmann.
12 months possibly renewable
ARDITI fellowship stipend for PhD holders (1509,80€) and regulations
are determined by ARDITI.
The evaluation criteria will be the following:
FS = QA + EP + ML
- FS – Final Scores
- QA – Qualifications
- EP – Experience
- ML – Motivation
The Jury may decide to conduct an interview, that happening, will contribute to 40% of the final scores (i.e., the joint score of the CV evaluation and motivation letter will be 60% of the final score).
- 3 points – PhD in Marine Biology or Ecology;
- 4 points - Experience in zooplankton taxonomy;
- 2 points – Experience in trophic level evaluation, energy flow related analyses and food web assessment within the lower levels (phyto-, zooplankton);
- 2 points – Fieldwork experience in zooplankton sampling at sea and collection and processing of dead stranded cetaceans and fish stomach contents;
- 2 points – Experience in using R software to process spatial (e.g. remote sensing data, distribution data) and other data and to carry out statistical analysis;
- 2 points – Relevant publication record focusing on zooplankton taxonomy, ecology, food webs or related
- 1 point - Experience in international collaborative projects and multidisciplinary workshops;• 1 point – Good knowledge of Portuguese and/or Spanish, as well as English, spoken and written;
- Manfred Kaufmann
- Áurea Narciso
- Clemente Aguiar
Announcement of the results
- Motivation letter (highlighting the candidate’s motivation and adequacy to work, but not repeating the CV)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Relevant qualification certificates (e.g. PhD certificate; and/or letter confirming the completion of the degree (PhD) + digital copy of the corresponding thesis)
- Thesis (PhD), if relevant for the evaluation of the application (see evaluation criteria)
Application submission and deadline
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- ARDITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.