This call is under the scope of the project “MAC2/1.1a/385 -INTERTAGUA - Interfaces Aquáticas Interativas para Deteção e Visualização da Megafauna Marinha Atlântica e Embarcações na Macaronésia usando Marcadores Rádio-transmissores,” funded by Programa de Cooperação INTERREG V A Espanha-Portugal MAC (Madeira –Açores-Canárias) 2014-20120.
The Interactive Technologies Institute (ITI) of LARSYS hosted at ARDITI is looking for one post-doctoral researcher (junior less than 3 years after PhD) focusing on integrating technologies and modelling approaches that sense how nature and ecosystems are affected by global pressures emerging from changes in climate and the oceans.
The INTERTAGUA project is particularly focused on developing and improving low-cost sensor systems for biodiversity and ocean monitoring as well as the related human and economic impacts. INTERTAGUA will deploy animal-borne sensors in different mega-fauna of the Macaronesia Islands, from Cabo Verde to Canary Islands, Madeira and the Azores.
This call invites applications for one (1) postdoctoral researcher with a strong background in ecological niche modelling and in dynamic ocean management approach, and that is capable of working in interdisciplinary teams and move between the different regions of the Macaronesia to assist in deploying and collecting data that could then be modelled and published in top-tier international journals.
Candidates for this position (“Postdoctoral Grant”) should have expertise in data management, data storage, data analysis in R, statistical analysis and niche modeling, web interfaces, publishing in peer-reviewed journals, communicating to both the general public and technical researchers, and in the ecology of marine megafauna. The candidate should also have less than 3 years after Ph.D., a strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team, very good communication skills and ability to meet deadlines. Preference will be given to candidates with local knowledge of the Macaronesia biogeographic region, that have worked in one or more of these archipelagos, and that is fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
The candidate will have the following main specific responsibilities:
- Obtain fine scale accurate dynamic distributional estimates of marine megafauna in the Madeira economic exclusive zone.
- Obtain environmental data obtained from oceanographic models and remote sensing to be used together with multiple occurrences data sources (mainly from telemetry data), with different temporal and spatial resolutions.
- To create density maps to assess potentials risks and provide management tools.
- To make the bridge between science and technology within the several teams working with different taxa.
- To visit and monitor field work in all Macaronesian archipelagos, ensuring the progress of the project.
- Preparation of technical reports and scientific publications;
- Participation in general activities, such as science spreading and conference/course organization.
Scientific guidance and workplace
The successful candidate will be integrated in the INTERTAGUA team headed by Professor Nuno Nunes.
The workplace will be at ITI, hosted by ARDITI (https://iti.larsys.pt/
), in Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal
The successful candidate is expected to join the INTERTAGUA team in the beginning of February 2020. The contract will be for 1 (one) year, eventually renewable until the physical execution limit date of the project (12/2022).
€1509.80 (Postdoctoral Grant) free of taxes; ARDITI postdoctoral stipend and regulations
are determined by ARDITI.
Candidates will be evaluated and ranked based on their Curriculum Vitae (maximum 50 points), fulfillment of the Admission Requirements; maximum 40 points), and motivation letter (maximum 10 points).
Doutor Nuno Nunes (Ph.D.) – President
Doutora Ana Dinis (Ph.D.)- Member
Doutor Filipe Alves (Ph.D.) - Member
The applicants should submit the following documents:
- The Curriculum Vitae with the ORCID number, RESEARCHID and SCOPUS AUTHOR ID;
- Summary of the scientific and curricular path, with a selection of the main activities and results achieved in the last three years;
- Motivation letter;
- The contact (email address, professional telephone number, and address) of 2 referees (contacts will not be made without notice);
- Other supporting documents considered relevant for the evaluation of the application.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered for evaluation.
Announcement of the results
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
Deadline for application: 31/12/2019, 17:00 (Lisbon/Madeira Island Time).
Note: The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
ITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.