The job is part of MEMEX a RIA European H2020 Project promoting immigrants' intangible heritage and social cohesion through collaborative, heritage-management tools. The concept is to provide inclusive access to tangible and intangible cultural heritage and, at the same time, facilitate encounters, discussions and interactions between communities at risk of social exclusion by welding together their fragmented experiences and memories into compelling and geolocalised storylines. The collected content will be digitalized and linked to the pre-existent European Cultural Heritage (CH) and deployed across three distinct pilots to analyze expectations from communities dislocated in three territories: i) migrant women in Barcelona (ES), communities from former colonies in Lisbon (PT) and priority neighborhoods in Paris (FR).
Main tasks of the researcher will be:
1. Collect state of the art and related work on cultural heritage and digital tools, related to the context of migrants, in close collaborations with the Italian Institute of Technology, who will provide the main tools in the form of a knowledge graph and company Mapillary for the Geolocative technology. Questions the researcher will have to investigate are: What are the best and worst practices. What are the main challenges/opportunities? Draft and opportunity and specifications document in collaboration with IIT and Mapillary will give.
2. The researcher will be developing the tools in close collaboration with the content that is being collected and the experiences that are being designed. The researcher will work in close collaboration with the other members of the team to design, integrate assets and evaluate the tool as it is being developed.
3. Participation in the Design and deployment of Participatory design workshops and User studies.
4. Writing of dissemination articles
Candidates should meet the following requirements, skills and competences:
- Completed a Bachelor’s and Master degree in Computer Science and Engineering or a related field. If the Candidate holds a different Master Degree, and passes the first round of selections, the appropriateness can be discussed in the interview for the application.
- Excellent spoken and written English skills are mandatory
- Availability to travel to meet communities and organizations in Portugal and Europe
The work will be conducted at ARDITI /ITI / LARSyS Portugal between the Lisbon and Madeira poles, under the direct supervision of Prof. Valentina Nisi.
The scholarship will have a length of 12 months, with a possibility of renewal until the end of the projects which is 30 Nov. 2022. The grant contract is expected to start in the first trimester of 2020.
How to apply
no later than 31-12-2019. The subject of the email should be: ARDITI-MEMEX-2019 - 003 - BIC.
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory) with a summary of the scientific and curricular path.
- Supporting documents for academic degrees (mandatory)
- Optional list of projects in the area that have already participated will be a plus.
The curricular selection process will be based on:
- Curriculum Vitae (60%)
- Interview (40%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
If the interview is not performed, the final evaluation will correspond only to the Curriculum Evaluation.
- President: Valentina Nisi, PhD - UMa, ITI / LARSyS
- Member of the Jury: Sabrina Scuri, PhD – ITI / LARSyS
- Member of the Jury: Nuno Nunes, PhD - IST, ITI / LARSyS
Notification of results
The final results will be published through an ordered list by final note that will be posted in a visible and public place at the ARDITI, being all candidates notified by email.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- ARDITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.