This call is under the scope of the project “M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000005 - Centro de Química da Madeira - CQM+” cofunded by PROGRAMA OPERACIONAL REGIONAL DA MADEIRA 2014-2020 (MADEIRA 14-20).
CQM+ is a project hosted by ARDITI - Regional Agency for the Development of Research, Technology and Innovation (http://www.arditi.pt
) and has as direct beneficiary the CQM – Centro de Química da Madeira/Madeira Chemistry Research Centre (https://cqm.uma.pt
). The aim of the operation is to strengthen the research and innovation potential of CQM, to increase its critical mass and to strengthen research and innovation in the thematic areas identified as priorities by the Research and Innovation Smart Specialization Strategy of Madeira (RIS3-RAM): "Health and Well-being"
, "Agro-Food Quality
" and the "Marine Resources and Technologies
) is a national R&D institution supported and internationally evaluated by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT). The research center is hosted by the University of Madeira (https://www.uma.pt
), which is located in Madeira Island (http://www.visitmadeira.pt/en-gb
), Portugal. The research center performs world-class research in the fields of Natural Products and Materials and is currently reinforcing its research team with highly motivated and qualified researchers coming from all over the world. The recruited personnel will integrate a young, dynamic, and multicultural team focused on the development of new solutions for the improvement of human health, agri-food quality, and bio-sustainability (including the sustainable use of marine resources) aimed at improving scientific knowledge and the well-being of the Society.
This call invites applications for one (1) senior researcher in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related fields, working in the field of “Nanomedicine for cancer treatment, diagnostic and/or follow-up
” with experience in Mass Spectrometry (MS).
• The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
• CQM is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
Typically, candidates for “Invited Scientist Grant” positions will have between 5 to 10 years of particularly relevant research experience after Ph.D., recognised research experience using MS techniques, namely MALDI TOF/TOF and should demonstrate leadership capabilities, as well as success to obtain competitive funding for research. Only candidates with an excellent scientific and curricular path will be considered (a minimum h-index of 15 will be used as reference). Experience in the transference of knowledge and technology and/or experience in MS equipment management and maintenance, characterization of nanoparticles (e.g dendrimers) by MS and biochemical laboratory skills will be valued in the evaluation process. Candidates with shorter research careers, but with an outstanding and internationally recognized Curriculum Vitae, may also be considered.
The candidate will have the following main specific responsibilities:
• Development of scientific/technological research under the topic “Nanomedicine for cancer treatment, diagnostic and/or follow-up.”, including the publication of results.
• Leadership of a scientific team, simultaneously establishing close research collaborations with other senior researchers at CQM;
• Establishment of international research collaborations;
• Supervision/co-supervision of students at the undergraduate, master, Ph.D. and/or Post-Doc levels;
• Elaboration and submission of applications for research funding at the national and/or European level;
• Participation in general CQM activities, such as management, science spreading and conference/course organization.
Scientific guidance and workplace
The successful candidate will be integrated into the CQM team headed by Professor João Rodrigues and as a senior researcher will be responsible for the scientific guidance of his/her own team.
Workplace will be at CQM - Madeira Chemistry Research Centre (http://cqm.uma.pt
), Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal
The successful candidate is expected to join the CQM team by December 2019. The contract will be for 9 months (or less, depending on the date of beginning), eventually renewable until the physical execution limit date of the project.
João Rodrigues (Ph.D.), José Câmara (Ph.D.), Rui Caldeira (Ph.D.), Paula Castilho (Ph.D.) (alternate member of the Jury).
The applicants should submit a single pdf file
- The Curriculum Vitae with the ORCID number, RESEARCHID and SCOPUS AUTHOR ID, highlighting the academic/professional achievements (including a complete list of publications);
- Summary of the scientific and curricular path, with a selection of the main activities and results achieved in the last five years in the domain of MS using MALDITOF/TOF;
- Qualification certificates translated to English and certified;
- A complete list of publications;
- A full list of projects/grants led by the candidate that have received competitive funding (candidates should include information concerning the sources of funding and the financial amounts involved);
- An original research proposal (maximum 10000 characters) of a 2-years research project to be developed at CQM under the topic “Nanomedicine for cancer treatment, diagnostic and/or follow-up”, with the goals (e.g. expected number of publications/patents) to be achieved annually;
- The contact (email address, professional telephone number, and address) of 2 referees;
- Other supporting documents considered relevant for the evaluation of the application.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered for evaluation.
Announcement of the results
The ranking list of candidates will be published on the ARDITI and CQM websites (http://www.arditi.pt
). An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
Application submission and deadline
Deadline for application: 11/11/2019, 17:00 (Lisbon/Madeira Island Time).
Note: The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.