NOTICE OF OPENING OF AN INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION FOR THE RECRUITMENT OF A DOCTORATE UNDER THE ARTICLE 23 OF DECREE-LAW No. 57/2016, OF AUGUST 29, WITH THE AMENDMENTS INTRODUCED BY LAW 57/2017, OF 19 JULY AND COMPLEMENTARY LEGISLATION
Public Notice Number: ARDITI-MARINESABRES-001
1. ARDITI - Regional Agency for the Development of Research Technology and Innovation - Association, through its Chairman of the Board of Directors, announces the opening of an international selection competition procedure for one doctorate researcher, for the exercise of scientific research activities in the scientific area(s) of Marine Ecology/Ecosystems Services/Biodiversity, with emphasis on insular systems, in the form of an uncertain term employment contract under the Labor Code.
This competition procedure is open within the scope of project “Marine SABRES - Marine Systems Approaches for Biodiversity Resilience and Ecosystem Sustainability” – Grant Agreement Number 101058956, funded by EU Horizon Europe Framework in the amount of €281,850.00 (two thousand eight-one hundred and eight hundred and fifty euros) and for a period of 48 months with effect from September 1, 2022, and aims to develop the following activities:
- To participate in coordination meetings, establishing collaborations with the project partners (networking);
- To implement and coordinate actions with stakeholders, in order to develop Socio-ecological models that contribute to the preservation of biodiversity;
- To look for economic opportunities, and assess the society behavior in relation to ecosystem services in insular habitats;
- To contribute to the writing of scientific papers within the scope of the project.
2. Applicable legislation:
- Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of 29 August, which approves a regime for hiring doctorates aimed at stimulating scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), as amended by Law n. 57/2017, of July 19;
- Regulatory Decree no. 11-A/2017, of December 29, which establishes the remuneration levels in the doctoral contracting regime;
- Decree-law no. 63/2019, of 17 May, which establishes the legal regime for institutions dedicated to research and development, in the wording attributed by Decree-Law no. 126-B/2021, of December 31;
- Decree-Law n.º 124/99, of 20 April, which approves the Statute of the Scientific Research Career, in its current wording;
- Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of 1 January, which approves the legal regime for the recognition of academic degrees and higher education diplomas awarded by foreign higher education institutions;
- Labor Code, approved by Law no. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current wording.
3. Composition of the Jury:
The jury consists of the following elements:
- President, João Canning-Clode (Coordinator of the Regional Research Unit MARE-Madeira)
- Member, Ana Costa (University of Azores)
- Member, Manfred Kaufmann (Associate Professor, University of Madeira)
4. Activities to be performed:
This competition procedure is open to the exercise of Research activities, on an exclusive basis, in the scientific area(s) of Biodiversity and Ecosystems Services (ES), namely the creation of a Social-ecological-system (SES), that contribute to the implementation of measures for the protection of coastal and marine areas and the provision of their ES in perpetuity, included in the functional contents provided for in numbers 2 and 4 of Article 5. º of the Scientific Research Career Statute.
The work will be carried out at ARDITI's / MARE-Madeira facilities, located at Edifício Madeira Tecnopolo, Piso 2, Caminho da Penteada, 9020-105 Funchal, without prejudice to the fact that the work may also take place in other facilities related to ARDITI's activity or by it indicated.
The present competition procedure is open for index 195, first level, of Auxiliary Investigator, being 3.230,21 Euros the monthly remuneration.
7. Contract duration:
7.1 The employment contract will be concluded for an uncertain resolutive term, with an estimated duration of 26 months, pursuant to the provisions of paragraph 3 and subparagraph b) of paragraph 1 of article 6 of the RJEC.
7.2 The basis for contracting for an uncertain term is related to the execution of specific, precisely defined and non-lasting activities, in accordance with the provisions of paragraph 1 and subparagraph g) of paragraph 2 and 3 of article 140 of the Labor Code. Contracting is necessary to ensure the development of the scientific research activities referred in the second paragraph of point 1, maintaining the need for contracting until its conclusion, which is estimated for a period of 26 months, with the exception of the provisions of the following number.
7.3 The cessation of funding, the termination of the project or the conclusion of the activities which constitute the object of this competition procedure, will determine the expiry of the contract that will operate with the communication referred to in number one of article 345 of the Labor Code, or that is, if the term is expected to occur, the employer communicates the termination of the term to the worker, at least seven, 30 or 60 days in advance, depending on whether the contract has lasted up to six months, from six months to two years or for a longer period.
8. Admission requirements:
8.1. National, foreign, and stateless candidates who hold a doctorate degree in a field of knowledge or specialty covering the scientific area(s) of Marine Biology/Marine Ecology/Biological Sciences or related scientific area, may oppose the competition procedure.
8.2. Degrees obtained in foreign countries require the presentation of a Portuguese Recognition issued by a Portuguese institution of higher education that confers the degree or diploma in that area of training, specialty or branch of knowledge, in accordance with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of 16.08, which approves the legal regime for the recognition of academic degrees and higher education diplomas awarded by foreign higher education institutions, regulated by Ordinance no. 33/2019, of 01.25. amended by Ordinance No. 43/2020, of 02.14.
In these situations, the presentation of the Acknowledgment will be required only for the purposes of conclusion of the contract, that is, until the expiry date of the period granted for the conclusion of the contract.
9. Formalization of applications:
9.2 The application must be accompanied by documents proving the conditions set out in point 8 for admission to this competition procedure, namely:
a) Copy of certificate or diploma;
b) Detailed curriculum vitae, and structured according to the items in points 10.5 to 10.7. The works that the candidate considers most relevant for each of the items in referred points must be marked, with a copy attached;
c) Other documents that the candidate justifies are relevant for the analysis of his/her application.
9.3 Candidates shall submit the application and documents referred to in the previous number, in PDF format, until the last day of the opening deadline for the competition procedure, which is set at 10 working days, after publication of this Notice. A candidate, based on the impossibility or excessive burden of sending any of the documents referred to in the previous number by email, may deliver them in physical support, respecting the aforementioned date, by registered mail with acknowledgment of receipt to the postal address “Edifício Madeira Tecnopolo, Piso 2, Caminho da Penteada, 9020-105 Funchal” or by hand at the Administrative and Financial Department of ARDITI. If the candidate's justification for submitting documents only in physical format is not accepted, the President of the Jury will give him/her a reasonable period to present them also in digital format.
9.4 The application and documents may be submitted in Portuguese or English, although the President of the Jury, in the case of a member who does not speak Portuguese, may demand that, within a reasonable period, that the candidate/ to translate into English a document that you previously presented in Portuguese.
9.5 By decision of the Chairman of the Board of Directors of ARDITI, candidates who do not meet the aforementioned requirements of formalization of candidacies are not admitted to the competition procedure, candidates who do not present the application, or do not deliver all the documents referred to in points a) to c) of point 9.2, or that present them illegibly, incorrectly completed, or invalid. It also has the option of requiring any candidate, in case of doubt and for the purposes of admission to the tender procedure, to present documents proving the respective declarations.
10. Evaluation of applications:
10.1 The Jury will deliberate on the approval or rejection of the candidates in absolute merit, by justified roll call where no abstentions are allowed.
10.2 A candidate who obtains a favorable vote from more than half of the voting members of the jury is considered approved on absolute merit.
10.3 The vote against approval on absolute merit may also be based on failure to comply with the following circumstance:
a) the Scientific Project prepared by the candidate is clearly insufficient and out of line with the scientific area(s), suffering from serious inaccuracies or is not supported by the candidate's previous work.
10.4 Pursuant to article 5 of the RJEC, the selection of candidates is carried out through the evaluation of their scientific and curricular path.
10.5 The evaluation of the scientific and curricular path focuses on the relevance, quality and timeliness:
a) From the scientific, technological, academic production of the last five years considered most relevant by the candidate;
b) Applied or practice-based research activities developed in the last five years and considered to have the greatest impact by the candidate;
c) The extension and dissemination activities of knowledge developed in the last five years, namely in the context of the promotion of scientific practices, considered of greater relevance by the candidate;
d) From the management activities of science, technology and innovation programs, or from the experience in observing and monitoring the scientific and technological system or higher education, in Portugal or abroad.
10.6 The five-year period referred to in the previous number may be extended by the jury, at the request of the candidate, when based on suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, namely, for reasons of parental leave, serious illness prolonged period, and other situations of unavailability for work legally protected.
10.7 The selection of the candidate to be hired will be made through the evaluation of their scientific and curricular path, focusing on the relevance, quality, timeliness and suitability of this path to the functions to be performed, considering the last 5 years of activity, according to the following evaluation criteria and weights:
- Experience in the evaluation of anthropogenic impacts in marine ecosystems, namely microplastics, and emergent pollutants (20%);
- Experience in coordination or co-coordination of scientific projects focused on insular ecosystems (20%);
- Experience in marine mammal’s research, focusing on the whale-watching activity in Madeira Island, including field work (20%);
- Familiarity with the marine biodiversity in the region (10%);
- Experience with population ecology studies of charismatic marine megafauna (20%);
- Experience supervising master and PhD students, especially in the field of anthropogenic impacts in marine mammals (10%).
10.8 The jury may decide to select up to 3 candidates who will be called to hold a session to present the results of their investigation, after which the jury members must stimulate an open debate on its content and innovative character. This presentation session does not constitute a selection method and is not classified, aiming merely to obtain clarifications or explanations of elements contained in the candidates' curriculum.
10.9. The Jury, whenever deemed necessary, may request the candidate to present additional documents proving the candidate's statements, which are relevant to the analysis and classification of his/her application.
10.10. False statements made by candidates will be punished under the law.
11. Classification of candidates:
11.1. Each member of the jury assigns a classification to each of the candidates in each evaluation criteria, on a scale from 0 to 100 points, proceeding to the ordering of the candidates according to the respective final classification, constituted by the sum of the partial ratings assigned to each evaluation criteria, and taking into account the weight assigned to each parameter.
11.2. Candidates are ranked by applying the successive voting method.
11.3. The jury decides by an absolute majority, abstentions are not allowed.
11.4. The final classification of each candidate is the one that corresponds to their ranking resulting from the application of the method referred to in point 11.2.
11.5 Minutes are drawn up of the jury meetings, which contain a summary of what happened there, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and the respective reasons, being made available to the candidates whenever requested.
11.6 The list of admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final classification list are published on the ARDITI website, and candidates are individually notified by email with delivery receipt. of notification.
12. Prior Hearing and Final Decision:
12.1 After being notified, candidates have 10 working days to exercise their right to a prior hearing, if they so wish.
12.3 The final decision of the jury must be given within 90 days from the deadline for the submission of applications.
12.4 Within five working days after the final decision of the jury, the Chairman of the Board of Directors of ARDITI will homologate it and the candidates will be notified.
12.5 The hiring will be decided by the Chairman of the Board of Directors of ARDITI, based on the final decision of the jury.
13. Final Provisions:
13.1. The present competition procedure is exclusively intended to fill the indicated vacancy(s), and may be terminated until the approval of the final decision of the jury, and expires with the respective occupation of the post(s) of work on offer.
13.2 ARDITI actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, harmed or deprived of any right or exempt from any duty. on grounds, in particular, of ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic or racial origin, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and trade union membership.
13.3. Under the terms of Decree-Law no. 29/2001, of 3 February, adapted to the Autonomous Region of Madeira by Regional Legislative Decree no. 25/2001/M, of 24 August, the candidate with a disability has preference in equality of rank, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare on the application form, under oath of honor, the respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication/expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma.
14. Personal data processing:
14.1. ARDITI will act as the data controller (as defined in the GDPR). Collecting and processing candidates' personal data is essential for the selection and recruitment process and subsequent conclusion of the employment contract
14.2. To facilitate the performance of activities to be carried out with pre-contractual due diligence, the candidates are informed that ARDITI, as the data controller, may proceed to use for processing the following categories of personal data:
- Identification data and contact data;
- Curricular/academic data;
- Professional experience data;
14.3. Candidates are informed that ARDITI, depending on the fulfilment of legal obligations to which it is bound, may communicate and/or transfer the personal data to the following entities:
- Autoridade Tributária (Portuguese Fiscal Authority);
- IGFSS – Instituto de Gestão Financeira da Segurança Social (Institute for Financial Management of Portuguese Social Security);
- Direção Regional do Trabalho e da Ação Inspetiva (Regional Directorate for Labor and Inspection);
- Instituto Nacional de Estatística (National Statistics Institute);
- Fundo de Compensação do Trabalho e Fundo de Garantia de Compensação do Trabalho (Portuguese Labor Compensation Fund and Labor Compensation Guarantee Fund);
- Seguradoras e entidades bancárias (Insurance companies and banking entities);
- Empresas de contabilidade (Accounting companies).
14.4. Job applicants have the right to access, rectify, cancel, erase and oppose the processing of their personal data at any time and the right to portability.
14.5. The records of the recruitment process will be kept for five years as provided in article 32 n.º 1 of the Code of the Labor Law. All personal data resulting from the recruitment and selection process will be kept for a period of time that is strictly necessary for the conclusion of the recruitment and selection process.
14.6. ARDITI ensures to take the appropriate technical and organizational measures, in accordance with the legislation in force, to ensure the confidentiality and security of the personal data of candidates.
14.7. Candidates are also informed that if they consider their personal data to be processed in violation of data protection legislation, they have the right to file a complaint with the National Data Protection Commission (www.cnpd.pt).
09 August 2022 - The Chairman of the Board of Directors of ARDITI - Regional Agency for the Development of Research, Technology and Innovation - Association, Doctor Rui Miguel Andrade Caldeira