ARDITI - Agência Regional para o Desenvolvimento da Investigação, Tecnologia e Inovação – Associação
NOTICE OF OPENING OF AN INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION FOR THE RECRUITMENT OF A DOCTORATE UNDER THE ARTICLE 23 OF DECREE-LAW No. 57/2016, OF AUGUST 29, WITH THE AMENDMENTS INTRODUCED BY LAW 57/2017, OF JULY 19 AND COMPLEMENTARY LEGISLATION
Public Notice Number ARDITI-MEMEX-01
1. The Board of Directors of the Regional Agency for the Development of Research Technology and Innovation (ARDITI) decided to open an international selection competition for one doctorate position, starting level, in the form of an employment contract under an unspecified fixed-term work contract under the "Código do Trabalho" (Labor Code), for the exercise of scientific research activities in the area of Computer Science, in order to develop the activities as mentioned above within the scope of the "MEMEX – MEMories and EXperiences for inclusive digital storytelling" project, funded by the European Union through H2020 program namely:
- Acting as senior researcher of the team, through the development of research within the themes of the MEMEX project and in the integration of interactive stories with knowledge graphics;
- Leadership in the production of scientific publications at international conferences in mid-September 2021;
- The leadership of the team for the conclusion and presentation of deliveries foreseen in the Memex project;
- Leadership and completion of MVP2 and related studies during the summer 2021 period.
The present call is opened under the project "MEMEX – MEMories and EXperiences for inclusive digital storytelling," financed by the European Union.
2. Applicable law:
- Decree-Law No. 57/2016, of August 29, the regulations for hiring doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), with the amendments introduced by Law No. 57 / 2017, dated July 19, also taking into account the provisions of Regulatory Decree No. 11-A / 2017, of December 29.
- "Código do Trabalho" (Labor Code), approved by Law No. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current wording.
3. In compliance with article 13 of RJEC, the Jury of the competition is composed as follows:
- President: Duarte Nuno Jardim Nunes (PhD), Full Professor IST;
- Member: Valentina Nisi (PhD), Associate Professor IST;
- Member: Sabrina Scuri (PhD)
4. The place of work is located at ARDITI, in Edifício Madeira Tecnopolo, Piso 2, Caminho da Penteada, 9020-105 Funchal, but without prejudice to the fact that work may also take place in other premises, by decision of the Board of Directors, the competent body of ARDITI.
5. The monthly remuneration to be awarded is 2961,07 Euro, corresponding to level 49 of the single remuneration table (TRU), approved by Ordinance No. 1553-C / 2008 of December 31.
6.1 Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of August 29, in its current wording, which approved the regulations for hiring doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), is an enabling norm for this international selection competition.
6.2 The opening of this competition is intended for the selection of a doctorate's place for the exercise of Scientific Research activity under an unspecified fixed-term work contract under the "Código do Trabalho" (Labor Code) approved by Law No. 7 / 2009, of February 12, in its current wording, being the basis of contracting the execution of a service determined, precisely defined and non-durable.
6.3 The uncertain fixed-term contract has the maximum duration of the tasks to be performed within the scope of the project that supports and justifies it, which is expected to last for six months.
6.4 Termination of the financing, termination of the project, or completion of the tasks that are the subject of this competition shall determine the expiration of the contract that will operate with the communication referred to in article 345 (1) of the "Código do Trabalho" (Labor Code), meaning that the employer shall notify the termination of the contract to the employee, at least seven, 30 or 60 days in advance, according to whether the contract lasted up to six months, six months to two years, or longer period."
7. The competition is open for national candidates, foreigners, and stateless persons who hold a doctoral degree in a branch of knowledge or specialty that covers the scientific area of Computer Science, or related scientific scope, as well as those to whom, under the terms of Decree-Law n No. 66/2018, of August 16, regulated by Administrative Rule no. 33/2019, of January 25, amended by Ordinance No. 43/2020, of February 14, was recognized the totality of the rights inherent to the degree of "Doctor," and are also holders of a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals an adequate profile to the activity to be developed.
7.1 If you are not a native speaker of Portuguese, you must have language skills at level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
8. Formalization of applications:
The equivalence, recognition, or registration of the "Doutor" degree should be obtained up to the last day of the tender opening period.
8.2 The application shall be accompanied by documents proving the conditions laid down in point 7 for admission to this invitation to tender, in particular:
a) Copy of certificate or diploma;
b) Doctoral thesis or equivalent document (s) that determined the granting of this academic degree;
c) Detailed curriculum vitae, structured in accordance with the items in point 14, indicating the works, and adding a copy of them, that the candidate considers most relevant to each of the items in point 14;
d) Proposal for a program of scientific activities to be carried out by the candidate;
e) Other documents that the candidate justifies are relevant to the analysis of your application.
8.4 The application and documents may be submitted in Portuguese or English, although the President of the Jury, and when a member of the Jury is a non-native Portuguese speaker, may request that, within a reasonable time, the candidate translates into English a document previously presented in Portuguese.
9. By the decision of the Chairman of the Board of ARDITI, candidates who do not comply with the provisions of point 8 are not admitted to the competition. Candidates who do not submit the application or who do not deliver all the documents referred to in points 8.2 (a) to (c) or who present them unreadable, incorrectly completed, or invalid are eliminated. The Jury is also entitled to require any candidate, in case of doubt and for the purposes of admission to competition, to present documentary evidence of the declarations in the submitted documents.
10. Approval on absolute merit:
10.1 The Jury will deliberate on its approval or rejection on absolute merit by a justified vote where no abstentions are admitted.
10.2 A candidate is considered approved on absolute merit when he/she obtains a favorable vote of more than half of the members of the Jury.
10.3 Candidates who have a scientific and curricular path relevant to the scientific area(s) of the competition and, taking into account their suitability for the additional weighting criteria identified in 14, will be approved on absolute merit.
10.4 The negative vote to approval on absolute merit can still be justified by the failure to fulfill the following circumstance:
- The curriculum of the candidate is shown to be clearly insufficient and misaligned with the scientific area (s), suffering from serious inaccuracies or not supported by previous work of the candidate.
11. According to article 5 of RJEC, the selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific and curricular path of the candidates.
12. The evaluation of the scientific and curricular path focuses on relevance, quality, and timeliness:
a) of the scientific, technological, academic, cultural, or artistic production during the last five years and considered more relevant by the candidate;
b) of the applied or practice-based research activities developed over the last five years and considered as having the most significant impact by the candidate;
c) of the activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed during the last five years, in particular in the context of promoting the culture and scientific practices considered by the candidate to be of greater relevance;
d) of the activities of science, technology, and innovation programs management or of the experience in observing and monitoring the scientific and technological system or higher education, in Portugal or abroad.
13. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be increased by the Jury, at the request of the candidate, when justified on the grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, namely for reasons of parental leave, severe prolonged illness, and other situations of unavailability for work legally protected.
14. The selection of the doctorate to hire will be made by evaluating the scientific-pedagogical and curricular path of the candidates, focusing on the relevance, quality, timeliness, and suitability of this path to the functions to be performed, considering the last three years of activity, according to the following evaluation criteria and weights:
- Quality of scientific, technological, cultural, or artistic production, considered more relevant by the candidate and relevant to the project to be developed, which was given a weighting factor of 70% considering:
i) Scientific publications: parameter that takes into account books, book chapters, articles in scientific journals and in international conference proceedings of which the candidate was an author or co-author, considering:
- its nature;
- its impact;
- the scientific/technological level and innovation;
- diversity and multidisciplinarity;
- international collaboration;
- the importance of contributions to the advancement of the current state of knowledge;
- the significance of the works that were selected by the candidate as the most representative, namely with regard to their contribution to the development and evolution of the scientific area for which the competition is open.
ii) Recognition by the international scientific community: parameter that takes into account:
- awards from scientific societies;
- editorial activities in scientific journals;
- participation in editorial boards of scientific journals;
- coordination and participation in program commissions for scientific events; conducting invited lectures at scientific meetings or at other institutions;
- participation as a member of scientific societies with competitive admission and other similar distinctions.
iii) Authorship and co-authorship of patents, models, and industrial designs, taking into account their nature, territorial scope, technological level, and the results obtained.
iv) Coordination and participation in scientific projects: parameter that takes into account the participation and coordination of scientific projects by the candidate, subject to a competitive tender, considering:
- territorial scope and its dimension;
- technological level and the importance of contributions;
- innovation and diversity.
v) Stimulation of scientific activity: parameter that takes into account the ability of coordination and leadership of research teams demonstrated by the candidate.
vi) Monitoring and orientation of students, interns, and research fellows: parameter that takes into account the direction of doctoral students, master's students and undergraduate students, interns, and research fellows, taking into account the number, the quality, scope, and scientific/technological impact of the resulting publications, theses, dissertations, and final course work, especially distinguishing the awarded works and international recognition.
- Applied research activities, or based on practice, considered to have the most significant impact on the candidate and relevant to the project to be developed, which was given a weighting factor of 15% considering:
- contribution to the development and evolution of the scientific area to which the call refers;
- contribution to the development and expansion of the theme proposed by the project in the scientific area to which the contest refers.
- The activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge, namely in the context of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, considered most relevant by the candidate and relevant to the project to be developed, which was given a factor of a weighting of 15% considering:
- contribution to the development and evolution of the scientific area to which the contest refers;
- contribution to the development and expansion of the theme proposed by the project in the scientific area to which the call refers.
15. The Jury may decide to select up to 3 candidates who will be called to hold a session presenting the results of their investigation, following which the jury members should stimulate an open debate on its content and innovative character. This presentation session does not constitute a selection method and is not classified, aiming merely to obtain explanations or clarifications of elements contained in the candidates' curricula.
16. The Jury, when it deems it necessary, may request the candidate to present additional documents proving the candidate's statements, which are relevant to the analysis and classification of his/her application.
17. Classification of candidates
17.1. Each member of the Jury assigned a classification to each of the candidates in each evaluation criterion, on a scale of 0 to 100 points, ranking the candidates according to their classification consisting on the sum of the partial classifications assigned in each evaluation criterion, and taking into account the weighting factor given to each parameter.
17.2. Candidates shall be ordered by applying the successive voting method.
17.3. The Jury decides by absolute majority, and abstentions are not allowed.
17.4. The final classification of each candidate is the one corresponding to his or her ranking resulting from the application of the method referred to in point 17.2.
18. Minutes of the jury meetings are drawn up, which contain a summary of what has taken place in them, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and their reasons, being available to the candidates whenever requested.
18.1. After being notified of the lists referred to in point 17.6, candidates have a period of 10 working days to comment.
18.2. Within 90 days, counting from the deadline for the submission of applications, the Jury's final decisions are rendered.
19. The final deliberation of the Jury is approved by the Chairman of the Board of ARDITI, and it is his responsibility to establish the respective contract.
20. This tender is exclusively intended to fill the vacancy (s) indicated and may be terminated until the homologation of the final ranking list of candidates and expiring with the respective occupation of the working position on offer.
21. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: ARDITI actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, disadvantaged, or deprived of any right or exemption from any duty owing, in particular, to ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs, and trade union membership.
22. Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, adapted to the Autonomous Region of Madeira by Regional Legislative Decree no. 25/2001/M, of August 24, a disabled candidate has a preference when in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare on the application form their respective degree of disability, the type of disability, and the means of communication/expression to be used in the selection process under the terms of the aforementioned diploma.
April 20, 2021 - The President of the Board of Directors of the Regional Agency for the Development of Research, Technology, and Innovation - Association, Professor Doutor Rui Caldeira.