NOTICE OF OPENING OF AN INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION FOR THE RECRUITMENT OF A DOCTORATE UNDER THE ARTICLE 23 OF DECREE-LAW No. 57/2016, OF AUGUST 29, WITH THE AMENDMENTS INTRODUCED BY LAW 57/2017, OF 19 JULY AND COMPLEMENTARY LEGISLATION
Public Notice Number ARDITI-CEECINST-001
1. The Board of Directors of the Regional Agency for the Development of Research Technology and Innovation (ARDITI) took a decision to open an international selection competition for one doctorate position for the exercise of activities of scientific research in the scientific area of Oceanography and/or Meteorology, with an emphasis on island systems, in the form of an employment contract for an indefinite period under the “Código do Trabalho” (Labor Code), to lead and coordinate research teams, to solicit projects and funding in the scientific areas to tender and to contribute to the development of the thematic domain of Resources and Technologies of the Sea of the Smart Specialization Strategy of the Autonomous Region of Madeira, included in the functional contents foreseen in the numbers 2 and 4 of Article 5 of the Statute of the of Scientific Research Career.
The present call is opened under the Program Contract to support the development of R&D activities, signed by FCT, IP, UMa and ARDITI, within the framework of the 2018 Institutional Call to Scientific Employment Stimulus.
2. Applicable law:
Decree-Law No. 57/2016, of August 29, the regulations for hiring doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), with the amendments introduced by Law No. 57 / 2017, dated July 19, also taking into account the provisions of Regulatory Decree No. 11-A / 2017, of December 29.
Decree-Law No. 124/99, of 20 de April, which approves the Statute of the of Scientific Research Career.
“Código do Trabalho” (Labor Code), approved by Law No. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current wording.
3. In compliance with article 13 of RJEC, the jury of the competition is composed as follows:
• Professor Doutor Duarte Nuno Jardim Nunes, Professor Catedrático do Instituto Superior Técnico da Universidade de Lisboa e Presidente do Conselho de Administração da ARDITI (Juri President);
• Professor Doutor Henrique Cabral, Professor Catedrático da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa;
• Professor Doutor João Carlos Marques, Professor Catedrático da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra;
• Professor Doutor Pedro Manuel Alberto de Miranda, Professor Catedrático da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa;
• Professor Doutor Ramiro Joaquim de Jesus Neves, Professor Associado com Agregação do Instituto Superior Técnico da Universidade de Lisboa.
4. The place of work is located at ARDITI, in Edifício Madeira Tecnopolo, Piso 2, Caminho da Penteada, 9020-105 Funchal, but without prejudice to the fact that work may also take place in other premises, by decision of the Board of Directors, the competent body of ARDITI.
5. In compliance with the provisions of the Regulatory Decree No. 11-A / 2017, of December 29, and considering the terms of the Program Contract mentioned in point 1 above, this tender is open for the remuneration level 220, 1st level of Principal Researcher, which corresponds to a monthly remuneration of 3.601,03 Euros.
6.1 Decree Law no. 57/2016, of August 29, which approved the regulations for hiring doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), is an enabling norm for this international selection competition.
6.2 The opening of this competition is intended for the selection of a doctorate's place for the exercise of scientific research activity under an employment contract for an indefinite period under the “Código do Trabalho” (Labor Code) approved by Law No. 7 / 2009, of February 12, in its current wording.
7. The competition is open for national candidates, foreigners and stateless persons who hold a doctoral degree in a branch of knowledge or specialty that covers the scientific area of Oceanography and/or Meteorology, with an emphasis on island systems, or related scientific area, as well as those to whom, under the terms of Decree-Law n No. 341/2007, of October 12, regulated by Administrative Rule no. 227/2017, of July 25, was recognized the totality of the rights inherent to the degree of “Doutor”, or to whom, under the terms of Decree-Law No 283/83 of June 21, has been granted equivalence or recognition to the degree of “Doutor” and are also holders of a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals an adequate profile to the activity to be developed.
8. Formalization of applications:
The equivalence, recognition or registration of the “Doutor” degree should be obtained up to the last day of the tender opening period.
8.2 The application shall be accompanied by documents proving the conditions laid down in point 7 for admission to this invitation to tender, in particular
a) Copy of certificate or diploma;
b) “Tese de doutoramento” or equivalent document (s) that determined the award of the academic degree of “Doutor”;
c) Detailed curriculum vitae, structured in accordance with the items in points 12 and 14, indicating the works, and adding a copy of them, that the candidate considers most relevant to each of the items in points 12 and 14, including “Researcher ID”, “ORCID” or equivalent, which will allow to identify the list of publications, the number of respective citations and the H-index according to the source: Clarivate Analytics Web of Science;
d) Scientific project with a maximum of 12 pages, which focuses on the scientific areas of Oceanography and/or Meteorology, with an emphasis on island systems, demonstrating how the candidate intends to contribute to the development of research teams, attracting projects and investments that contribute to the development of the thematic area of Resources and Technologies of the Sea of the Smart Specialization Strategy of the Autonomous Region of Madeira;
e) Electronic version (pdf) of the 5 most representative scientific articles published in the last 10 years in international journals mentioned in the curriculum vitae and other works that the candidates consider relevant for the jury's consideration;
f) Other documents that the candidate justifies to be relevant to the analysis of his / her application.
8.3 Applicants submit the application and documents referred to in 8.1 and 8.2 in PDF format, up to the last day of the tender opening period, which is fixed at 15 working days after publication of this Notice. An applicant may, by reason of the impossibility or excessive costs of sending any of the documents referred to in 8.1 and 8.2 by e-mail, deliver them on physical support, respecting the above date, by registered mail with acknowledgment of receipt to the address postal service “Edifício Madeira Tecnopolo, Piso 2, Caminho da Penteada, 9020-105 Funchal” or by hand at Administrative e Financial Department of ARDITI. Not being accepted the justification of the candidate for the delivery of documents only in physical format, the President of the Jury will give a reasonable time to present them also in digital support.
8.4 The application and documents may be submitted in Portuguese or English, although the President of the Jury, and when a member of the Jury is a non-native Portuguese speaker, may request that, within a reasonable time, the candidate translates into English a document previously presented in Portuguese.
9. By decision of the Chairman of the Board of ARDITI, candidates who do not comply with the provisions of point 8 are not admitted to the competition. Candidates who do not submit the application or who do not deliver all the documents referred to in points 8.2 (a) to (d) or who present them unreadable, incorrectly completed, or invalid are eliminated. The jury is also entitled to require any candidate, in case of doubt and for the purposes of admission to competition, to present documentary evidence of the declarations in the submitted documents.
10. Approval on absolute merit:
10.1 The Jury will deliberate on its approval or rejection on absolute merit, by a justified vote where no abstentions are admitted.
10.2 A candidate is considered approved on absolute merit when he/she obtains a favorable vote of more than half of the members of the jury.
10.3 Candidates who have a scientific and curricular path relevant to the scientific area(s) of the competition and taking into account their suitability for the additional weighting criteria identified in 14.5 will be approved on absolute merit.
10.4 The unfavorable vote to approval on absolute merit can still be justified by the failure to fulfill the following circumstance:
a) the Scientific Project prepared by the candidate is shown to be clearly insufficient and misaligned with the scientific area (s), suffering from serious inaccuracies or not supported by previous work of the candidate.
11. According to article 5 of RJEC, the selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific and curricular path of the candidates.
12. The evaluation of the scientific and curricular path focuses on relevance, quality and timeliness:
a) of the scientific, technological, academic, cultural or artistic production during the last five years and considered more relevant by the candidate;
b) of the applied or practice-based research activities developed over the last five years and considered as having the greatest impact by the candidate;
c) of the activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed during the last five years, in particular in the context of promoting the culture and scientific practices considered by the candidate to be of greater relevance;
d) of the activities of science, technology and innovation programs management or of the experience in observing and monitoring the scientific and technological system or higher education, in Portugal or abroad.
13. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be increased by the jury, at the request of the candidate, when justified on grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, namely for reasons of parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work legally protected.
14. The assessment criteria are set out in this entry, with the option mentioned in point 14.5, with particular emphasis on the curriculum vitae and the contributions considered to be of higher relevance by the candidate in the last ten years:
14.1. Quality of the scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production, considered more relevant by the candidate, and relevant to the project to be developed, which was given a weighting factor of 50% considering:
i) Scientific publications: a parameter which takes into account books, chapters of books, articles in scientific journals and international conference proceedings of which the applicant was the author or co-author, considering:
• its nature;
• its impact;
• the scientific / technological level and innovation;
• diversity and multidisciplinarity;
• international collaboration;
• the importance of contributions to the advancement of the current state of knowledge;
• the importance of the works that have been selected by the candidate as most representative, in particular as regards their contribution to the development and evolution of the scientific area for which the competition is open.
ii) Creation and strengthening of laboratory resources: a parameter that takes into account the participation and coordination of initiatives by the candidate that have resulted in the creation or reinforcement of laboratory infrastructure of an experimental and / or computational nature in support of research.
iii) Recognition by the international scientific community: a parameter that takes into account:
• prizes from scientific societies;
• editorial activities in scientific journals;
• participation in editorial bodies of scientific journals;
• coordination and participation in program committees of scientific events;
• invited lectures in scientific meetings or in other institutions;
• participation as a member of competitive admission scientific societies and other similar distinctions;
iv) Authorship and co-authorship of patents, models and industrial designs, taking into account their nature, territorial scope, technological level and results obtained.
v) Coordination and participation in scientific projects: a parameter that takes into account the participation and coordination of scientific projects by the candidate, subject to competitive bidding, considering:
• the territorial scope and its size;
• the technological level and the importance of the contributions;
• innovation and diversity.
vi) Dynamization of scientific activity: a parameter that takes into account the capacity for coordination and leadership of research teams demonstrated by the candidate.
vii) Supervision and orientation of students, trainees and research fellows: a parameter that takes into account the orientation of doctoral students, master's and undergraduate students, trainees and research fellows taking into account the number, quality, scope and scientific / technological impact of the resulting publications, theses, dissertations and final course papers, distinguishing especially the awarded works and the international recognition.
14.2. Activities of applied or practice-based research, considered to be of greatest impact by the candidate, and relevant to the project to be developed, which was given a weighting factor of 10% considering:
i) Vocational training actions: a parameter which takes into account the participation and coordination of technological training actions aimed at enterprises and the public sector, taking into account their nature, technological intensity and results achieved.
ii) Provision of services and integrated consultancy in institutional mission: a parameter that takes into account participation in activities involving the business community and the public sector, taking into account the type of participation, size, diversity, technological intensity and innovation.
14.3. Activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge, particularly in the context of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, considered of greater relevance by the candidate, and relevant to the project to be developed, which was given a weighting factor of 20% considering:
i) Industrial and intellectual property;
ii) Publications of scientific and technological outreach: parameter that takes into account the articles in magazines and national conferences and other publications of scientific and technological diffusion, taking into account their professional and social impact.
iii) Services to the scientific community and to society: a parameter that takes into account the participation and coordination of scientific and technological dissemination initiatives and taking into account the nature and results achieved by them when carried out towards:
• the scientific community, including the organization of conferences and conferences;
• the media;
• companies and the public sector.
iv) Participation and contribution to relevant national and / or international programs such as the Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) and sea policy.
14.4. Contribution to activities related to the management of science, technology and innovation programs, or experience in the observation and monitoring of the scientific and technological system or higher education, in Portugal or abroad, and relevant to the project to be developed, with a weighting factor of 20% considering:
i) Positions in boards of the university, school, or research unit: a parameter that takes into account the nature and the responsibility of the position.
ii) Other positions: parameter that takes into account the exercise of positions in national and international scientific organizations.
14.5. In weighing the evaluation criteria listed in paragraphs 14.1 to 14.4, each jury member may consider the following additional parameters under the following conditions:
a) relevance and quality of the scientific project proposed for the scientific areas of Oceanography and/or Meteorology, with an emphasis on island systems, demonstrating how the candidate intends to contribute to the development of research teams, attracting projects and investments that contribute to the development of the thematic domain of Resources and Technologies of the Sea of the Smart Specialization Strategy of the Autonomous Region of Madeira.
15. The jury may decide to select up to 2 candidates who will be called to hold a session presenting the results of their investigation, following which the jury members should stimulate an open debate on its content and innovative character. This presentation session does not constitute a selection method and is not classified, aiming merely to obtain explanations or clarifications of elements contained in the candidates' curricula.
16. The Jury, when it deems it necessary, may request the candidate to present additional documents proving the candidate's statements, which are relevant to the analysis and classification of his/her application.
17. Classification of candidates
17.1. Each member of the jury assigned a classification to each of the candidates in each evaluation criterion, on a scale of 0 to 100 points, ranking the candidates according to their classification consisting on the sum of the partial classifications assigned in each evaluation criterion, and taking into account the weighting factor given to each parameter.
17.2. Candidates shall be ordered by applying the successive voting method.
17.3. The jury decides by absolute majority, and abstentions are not allowed.
17.4. The final classification of each candidate is the one corresponding to his or her ranking resulting from the application of the method referred to in point 17.2.
18. Minutes of the jury meetings are drawn up, which contain a summary of what has taken place in them, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and their reasons, being available to the candidates whenever requested.
19. The final deliberation of the jury is approved by the Chairman of the Board of ARDITI, and it is his responsibility to establish the respective contract.
20. The false statements made by the candidates will be punished according to the law.
21. The list of admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final ranking list are posted on the premises of ARDITI as well as advertised on the website of ARDITI, and the applicants will be notified by email with receipt of delivery of the notification.
22. Prior Hearing and Deadline for Final Decision: After being notified, candidates have 10 working days to submit a formal rebuttal. Within the term of 90 days, counted from the deadline for the presentation of the candidacies, the final decisions of the jury are given.
23. This tender is exclusively intended to fill the vacancy (s) indicated and may be terminated until the homologation of the final ranking list of candidates and expiring with the respective occupation of the working position on offer.
24. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: ARDITI actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, disadvantaged or deprived of any right or exemption from any duty owing, in particular, to ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability , chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and trade union membership.
25. Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, adapted to the Autonomous Region of Madeira by Regional Legislative Decree no. 25/2001/M, of August 24, a disabled candidate has a preference when in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare on the application form their respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma.