The job is part of MEMEX a RIA European H2020 Project promoting immigrants' intangible heritage and social cohesion through collaborative, heritage-management tools. The concept is to provide inclusive access to tangible and intangible cultural heritage and, at the same time, facilitate encounters, discussions, and interactions between communities at risk of social exclusion by welding together their fragmented experiences and memories into compelling and geolocalised storylines. The collected content will be digitalized and linked to the pre-existent European Cultural Heritage (CH) and deployed across three distinct pilots to analyze expectations from communities dislocated in three territories: i) migrant women in Barcelona (ES), communities from former colonies in Lisbon (PT) and priority neighborhoods in Paris (FR).
Main tasks of the researcher will be:
1. Managing the Project, from the scientific standpoint, including liaising with the Project Manager, team and task management, keeping things flowing, and deliverables met. The Postdoc will be in close contact with the Local PIs but is expected to display a high degree of independence in managing the team and deliverables.
2. Understand the migrants’ panorama in Portugal, who are the communities, the composition, and localization in the country. Survey for organizations that are involved with immigrant communities, make contact with them. Investigate what are their goals, and modus operandi. The results from the work will be made available through an extensive report.
3. Connect with the technical side of the team and participate in the Collection of state of the art and related work on cultural heritage and digital tools, related to the context of migrants, in close collaborations with the Italian Institute of Technology. What projects have been done so far, where, collect best and worse practices. What are the main challenges/opportunities?
4. The researcher will be involved in connecting with the Lisbon based partners in building trust with the organizations and communities of choice. Focused groups and Storytelling workshops will be organized to better understand their needs and desired.
5. Collection of stories and heritage assets, through the organization and involvement of storytelling and story-making workshops. The use of some technology can be inserted, if desirable by the participants. The researcher is expected to manage the production of the visualizations of the Intangible Heritage, and coordinate with team members and partners for the production phase.
6. Design and deployment of Participatory design workshops and User studies.
7. Writing of dissemination articles
Candidates should meet the following requirements, skills, and competences:
· PhD in Digital Media;
· Preferred background: Bachelor’s and/or Master degrees in Communication and Culture Management
· career starter (<1 year as a Post-Doctoral fellow);
· Excellent spoken and written English skills are mandatory
· Availability to travel to meet communities and organizations in Portugal and Europe.
The work will be conducted at ARDITI /ITI / LARSyS Portugal between the Lisbon and Madeira poles, under the direct supervision of Prof. Valentina Nisi.
The scholarship will have a length of 12 months, with a possibility of renewal until the end of the projects which is 30 Nov. 2022. The grant contract is expected to start in the first trimester of 2020.
€1509.80 (Postdoctoral Grant) free of taxes; ARDITI postdoctoral stipend and regulations are determined by ARDITI.
How to apply
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory) with a summary of the scientific and curricular path.
- Supporting documents for academic degrees (mandatory)
- Optional list of projects in the area that have already participated will be a plus
The curricular selection process will be based on:
- Curriculum Vitae (60%)
- Interview (40%) if there are multiple eligible candidates
If the interview is not performed, the final evaluation will correspond only to the Curriculum Evaluation.
- President: Valentina Nisi, PhD - UMa, ITI / LARSyS
- Member of the Jury: Pedro Campos, PhD – UMa, ITI / LARSyS
- Member of the Jury: Nuno Nunes, PhD - IST, ITI / LARSyS
Notification of results
The final results will be published through an ordered list by final note that will be posted in a visible and public place at the ARDITI, being all candidates notified by email.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- ARDITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
- The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.